Monday, August 19, 2013

The Final Countdown!

This will be the first of a two-part post on what I have learned on my Ironman journey.  Part I--what I think I have learned on this journey...Part II will come after the race, and may negate everything I list here in my pre-race version.  But we'll see...

Rebecca Braman Quinn

These are in no particular order of importance:

1.  Ironman training is ALL CONSUMING.  Those of you who are my Facebook friends (or who were before you hid my posts because all I ever post about is training) know this to be true.  When I have the chance to see any of you in person, which admittedly has most often occurred on a bike ride, getting into the pool or on a run, you have asked how I get anything else done.  The answer is, I don't!  I really should have hired a maid during this time.  I have no idea how people with children who work can do this.  Really.  It's insane.

2.  Preparation includes DETAILS about training and non-training related items.  Being a researcher and OCD about details, while annoying to some, is a fantastic quality to have when preparing for an Ironman. The training, if you follow a plan, will take care of itself.  (Okay, not really, you have to put in the work, but you don't have to worry about it.  Just do it.)  But there are so many other little things, which, if ignored, have the opportunity to ruin your race, regardless of how fit and trained you are.  For example, I signed up for this race at the end of November, 2012.  In December, I had already read the previous year's athlete guide, all of the FAQs about the race, signed up for the Louisville groups on iAmtri, Facebook and BeginnerTriathlete.com.  I also watched a whole bunch of YouTube videos about the race.  Since then I have revisited all of these information sources numerous times. Who needs extra things to worry about in this kind of event?  Getting through it is worry enough!

3.  A good SUPPORT structure is vital (see #1 above).  Brian has been super-supportive of me throughout this journey, and will likely be more relieved than I am when it's over.  I can't imagine the stress one would have to manage if you didn't have the support of your partner/kids/parents/friends, etc.  My friends and family have also been really supportive, though none of them have to deal with it as a burden like Brian does.

4.  When you've gotta GO, you've gotta go.  I won't get into too much detail here, but my training involved a few unexpected pitstops--on the side of Lake Mary Blvd., in Gemini Springs park (in an area without a bathroom), at the top of Sugarloaf Mountain...Oh, and what about in the race? Yeah, I asked the question early on what people do when they've gotta go on the course (yes, there are port-o-lets, but this is a RACE, who wants to stop? and maneuvering sweat-soaked clothing? no...).  I'll have more info on that, whether you want it or not, in Part II.  Moving on...


5.  STRENGTH.  I am stronger, and also not as strong, as I thought I was.  I should have been stronger with my eating habits.  I was doing really well for a while, then I started giving in to the desire to go out to eat more often than I should have.  But I am strong in regards to pushing through discomfort or negative thoughts while exercising.  That will definitely help during the race, which will certainly become uncomfortable at some point (the question is not IF, but WHEN).  I have plenty of training sessions and past races to go back to in my mind where I overcame the discomfort, pain or negative emotions.  I will just have to focus on the fact that I got through those, I can get through the next challenge.


6.  I AM NOT ALONE.  Others are experiencing the same victories and challenges that I am.  My experience is not unique, though it is special to me, and knowing that others are facing the same ups and downs (and ups again) that I am really helps (see #3 above).  Not only being able to draw strength and support from my local triathlon club, but connecting virtually to others preparing for this specific race (and to those who have done it in the past) has been immeasurably valuable in my mental and physical preparation.

7.  However, I need to MAKE MY OWN DECISIONS regarding my training and my race.  Yes, I can gather a huge amount of useful input, opinions and information from others, but in the end I have to do what is right for me.  I am using the nutrition provided on the course, which may not be the best available, but it works for me and relieves other stresses (like having to supply all of my own nutrition).  I am not changing clothes between disciplines, because what I've been wearing works, and I don't care about being "comfortable" for the first two miles of the marathon, it's going to get uncomfortable eventually.  I tried the arm cooling sleeves, based upon recommendations from others about riding in the heat, and they just aren't going to work for me.  I did four 100+ mile bike rides that ended with a heat index in the 90s, followed by a 4 - 7 mile run, without the sleeves, and I was fine.  Okay, not fine, but really, fine.  I wore the sleeves a few times in the last week on shorter rides and runs and they were annoying.  So no sleeves for me.

8. Have FUN!  Although I could do without 5 hour bike rides EVERY weekend, I have had a lot of fun training for this, and as soon as I feel like touching my bike again when I'm done (I have a feeling I won't want to see her for a little while, anyway), I will continue swimming, biking and running just for the fun of it. (But maybe not two-a-days, who needs those?)

9.  Don't WORRY about things I cannot control.  There are so many people posting in the online forums about whether or not the race might be wetsuit legal, and what the weather will be like, and the wind conditions, etc.  I will not wear a wetsuit, I cannot control the weather (and really, how can it be any worse than it has been in Central Florida?), and the wind will be what it is.  So I'm barely even paying attention to the weather reports.  My training is done (well, other than my continued training this week for maintenance), my plan is in place, the details are taken care of, and now all I have to do is pack.  (Remember that OCD thing I mentioned above? Yeah, you should see the spreadsheet I have for my packing list.  It's a bit ridiculous.)

In short (ha! me write something short? fuhgettaboutit...)...I'm ready!  I'm pumped! I can't wait for it to be here! I think I just threw up a little in my mouth!  Yes, a few nerves, but mostly excitement.

Thank you for taking this journey with me, I couldn't have done it without you.

And now for a little throwback to 1986:


1 comment:

I love comments and feedback! Positive, negative, supportive, incredulous, whatever...I want to hear it!