Sunday, April 14, 2013

The lonely sport...

Many times I have heard triathlon described as a lonely sport.  And I do often see people on tri-bikes, in their aero bars, pedaling away all by themselves.  This past week I felt a little bit of that.  For my approach to the Ironman, I am following a very specific plan, which is what works for me.  I have to have something to stick to or else I go completely the opposite way and get lazy and into that "oh I'll just make up that workout tomorrow" frame of mind. Knowing that approach would never work for an IM, I picked a plan and I'm sticking to it. 

But that's just it--it's my plan.  No one else I know locally is following the same plan.  Hell, there are hardly any others training for an Ironman.  Those who are each modify our plans to fit our particular schedules.  I know no one who can just put training first and work, family, school, etc. second.  I had to start with my work schedule, which thankfully is fairly steady and consistent this year (the very reason, in fact, that I picked this year for completing an Ironman).  Then I had to fit in the swims, which are set through the Masters Swim program.  Amazingly, they fall on the exact days the training plan suggests!  Then the rest of it gets fit in, but of course I have to deal with weather and special events popping up.  Oh, and don't forget the gym.  I know most long-course triathletes say to let the gym go, but I am a firm believer in core-strengthening in the gym and its direct benefits to performance (and decreased pain and discomfort) on the swim, bike and run.  So I picked a gym with easy access, a shower and a convenient location.  Finally, my husband!  How do I find time for him (and also not take away from the things I need to do at home)?  I am eternally grateful that he is supportive of this endeavor and that he bikes with me (and attends all of my events as my support crew and cheerleader).  Today, in fact, a friend asked him if he was participating in a particular upcoming bike ride, and he responded (only half-jokingly), "I don't know, Becky just tells me what's on the schedule for the next day and I go."

On our refrigerator is my training plan schedule, hand-written (in pencil) on a monthly calendar, as well as the weekend "honey-do" list that we need to accomplish before going on vacation next month.  The structure is needed to keep me sane and on track.

But I digress...sort of...the point is that everything is planned out, week by week, so I can accomplish this big goal this year.  Last week a little feeling of loneliness hit me while out on a solo bike ride.  I take my bike to work with me on those days I have to get a PM ride in, and when 5:00 hits, I'm changing into my cycling gear and heading out the door.  Riding the same route can sometimes get monotonous, but it doesn't bother me too much.  And I really don't mind riding on my own--there is no pressure to either (a) keep up with somebody or (b) worry whether I'm going too fast/too slow for somebody else.  But I do enjoy sharing the joy of a bike ride with others who enjoy it.

On this particular ride I wanted some company.  Not because I wanted to talk to someone, just to share the journey.  It felt lonely.  But then I went to my masters swim class and once again felt part of a community.  Although there really isn't much socializing during the swim (since talking while swimming doesn't normally work out very well), it is still a semi-social event.  Many of us attending the masters class are new to swim class as adults.  We're working through our stroke deficiencies together, commiserating (and celebrating!) our challenges and achievements.  And then there is the run clinic that I've been participating in for the past few weeks.  It's only an hour once a week, but the support that everyone gives each other as we work through sprint drills or new running form is just awesome.  And then there are the group rides with my triathlon club.  Although triathletes should really train on the bike without drafting, since drafting is not allowed in a triathlon, I am still able to join the group at some rides and just ride a little bit off the back of the person in front of me. 



Over the past couple of years, Brian and I have met so many new and amazing people through our biking, running and triathlon groups.  We have different backgrounds, we represent all ages, we have different professions (in fact I don't know many of the professions of some of the people I swim/bike/run with frequently!), but we all enjoy getting in some exercise and participating in this little subculture we've created.  Some of us are training for specific events, others for a first running race or century or triathlon, others just want to stay fit or get fit.  Many have always been into sports (I've been doing some sort of sport since I started playing softball at age 9), and others never did anything remotely like a sport until later in life.  And I think what I find so amazing about all of these groups is how welcoming everybody is.

I was just at a baby shower this weekend and talking to a friend of a friend who I hadn't seen in a while.  We had belonged to the same marathon training program a few years ago, so we were talking about that because she had gotten away from running and was thinking of getting back into it.  She brought up how at first she thought that she shouldn't join because people would think she was too slow or not good enough, but that she was completely wrong and instead found a wonderfully supportive group of people.  As we talked further about that, I was talking about a woman I met a few years ago through cycling and who I continue to encourage to reach her next level of potential (because I know she has more levels to climb!). I mentioned that I know she is extremely encouraging to runners who feel they are too slow.  As we talked, we realized that this woman knew her and did just that--encouraged her when she was wanting to quit, and got her through it.  Small world, but not surprising.

So although I know that my Ironman journey may occasionally feel lonely, I also know that I can always find my swim/bike/run buddies to relieve that loneliness and feel connected to this amazing group of people once again.

I encourage you to find your group...no matter what your interest, I guarantee there is a group of people, close to your home, getting together for it soon.  Ask The Amazing Google Machine, it will find them for you. 

1 comment:

  1. Great entry Becky! am proud to be one of those who train with you, you're an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and feedback! Positive, negative, supportive, incredulous, whatever...I want to hear it!